Sunday, April 17, 2011

Care of the Death thoughts

It is a weird feeling seeing your name on a tombstone. I stood next to my dad starring at the stone in the ground that read 'HASELMANN'. Shielding both the rain and the faces of the people surrounding me with my umbrella. The rain painted a particularly gloomy scene. This was the only time I have ever been to a funeral. I was 7 and it was honoring my great grandpa, at least that’s how my older cousin described it to me. This was a pretty vivid memory for me. It was a moment that I just wanted to be over, mostly as a result of boredom. However I don’t remember being sad. Which was probably because I was too little to comprehend the situation. There were about 20 people surrounding my grandpa. Some of whom I knew as family and others I haven't had the slightest clue that they were. But everyone was connected through my great grandpa and through our classic black style choices. And so I’m curious why people wear black? A common question, that seemingly no one tries to answer. Connotations with black are depressing, morbid, dark, mysterious, and elegant. In a sense black can almost be nothingness, the total absence of color. But do these connotation come from wearing the color at funerals? The black style has evolved into a sort of tradition in our culture. Do other cultures associate death with a certain wardrobe, a color?

In the process of thinking about death I sparked the idea of organ donors. Some people chose to donate their organs/ body for researches after they die. I know my parents take part in it by the little heart on their divers license. How does it all work though? then I started to think about my godfather. He works 3 times a week demonstrating operations to doctors on cadaver heads. Logically this is a helpful/ useful way to practice before practicing on a live person. But where do those bodies come from? Perhaps they are bodies of people who have never been claimed. Are they bodies of people who have donated parts to science? i cant imagine having a job like that. One where you cant under any circumstances be afraid of the parts.

When a body is not claimed what happens to it?

If hell is associated with fire. Why are people so accepting of being cremated?

that is just one method, but what are the alternatives?

How are bodies preserved now/ throughout history?

Why are the dead so frightening?

How are bodies preserved and where?

Why do we wear black to mourn over a death?


No comments:

Post a Comment