Monday, September 27, 2010

Family food ways


Did you know that there are special spoons for sauces? well its true, and I have about a gazillion in my house. It is a spoon that is flat and has a triangle shape cut out of it. Food is taken very seriously by some people in my family. Hense the spoons. Not only the spoons, but in my house there are certain types of everything. The meat is always from a certain place. A certain type of butter is always purchased. And only always does the wine match the flavor of the food. Sometimes I can do it. Although a good half of the time I just do not understand the difference in taste, or quality. Call me crazy but sometimes I just think my parents are weird.

I do however has a good idea of where this obsession came from. It is simply what you get after being involved in the restaurant business. Both my Stepdad and Mother were involved for a while and now they just cant seem to get enough. My Mom first started at Mcdonalds, not a phase she would describe as her highest point. She spent some time there as the cool kid who could get free food at Mcdonalds. Fortunately she has made some improvements since then. As she went through college she ended up working at a five star restaurant called Daniel (If maybe by some chance you have heard of it). Then that led up to her working with wine, which is what she does now. My mother has worked at a variety of food places, so I guess you could say she knows what she is talking about. Although that still does not mean I agree. Luckily she does not enforce any eating rules on me. I do not remember the last time she ever enforced any rules. She believes that when you are forced to eat certain foods you just seem to lose interest. And by limiting me down to only certain types of food will just make me want it more. Take halloween for example. After trick or treating I had buckets of candy. My mother unlike most gave me the freedom to eat whatever I wanted and how ever much I wanted. So as you might imagine I ate it til i was sick and then didn't want anymore. So her theory is not one I can argue with. Maybe I will find the enriching ideas she has about food but as for now I am just not as interested in eating the way she does.

I go along with the other part of my family that does embrace food quite so passionately. The people in that group consist of people like my grandmother. She approaches food as a "Necessary evil." My grandmother always avoids cooking whenever she can, "I hate cooking. I hate spending money on food and I hate wasting time eating it." This all might seem harsh. But these ideas come from somewhere. It turns out her mother, (my grandmother, who I have never had the pleasure to meet) forced her to eat everything on her plate. Whatever my great grandmother cooked was served and was expected to be eaten in full. Which has today fully influenced my grandmother not to make us eat everything on our plates. Especially because of all the new restaurants and free delivering my grandmother finds no need to "slave in the kitchen" and cook. The food we have access to today is alot different than some of the food we had access to in earlier generations.

It is not to hard to tell that there are some very different perspectives on food within my family. If anything they are close to being opposites. So stuck in the middle I tend to just go along. Although both sides are a result of pass experiences with food. My mom continued to be involved with food after the positive experiences she had working in the business. while my grandmother was scarred by her childhood food boundaries and therefore changed them. I like that no one tries to enforce food boundaries on me. I like the fact that I can just experience different foods at my own pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment