Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Comments

To Johnny: http://johnnynormaliswierd.blogspot.com/2011/05/hw-55-culminating-project-care-of-dead.html#comments
I think you choice to write about a very interesting topic. It seems to be a issue that is not throughly addressed in the process of caring for the dead. After someone dies their body goes through the natural process of decomposition. The use of wooden casket enables fluids from the body to contaminate the earth around their grave. While using a metal casket would be a simply solution it is not practical. A metal casket is for one thing harder to make, and delays the natural process of decompostition. Why do people go through so much trouble to delay or stop the process of a bodys decomposition (with caskets or embalming)?

To Amber: http://amberr93.blogspot.com/2011/05/originally-i-had-planned-on-writing.html#comments
I remember you telling me about your project. I was interested then and after reading it I think the project turned out really well. I liked how you made the piece very personal by writing about your views and practice based off of your own religion. You managed to take the piece a step deeper by a temping to learn about other religion aside form your own.
Your research strongly supports what you said "that religion does indeed affect the way one approaches death and his or her thoughts on the afterlife. " I think you could have improved this piece by comparing and contrasting the dominant practices in each religion. Similarities and differences.
Good job

To Natalie: http://nataliegk.blogspot.com/2011/05/homework-55-culminating-project.html?showComment=1305948701780#c1769984663445175898
Your video was really good. I liked the overlapping music you included. it started as more happy toned and transitioned into more mellow tones which I felt set the tone. It was interesting comparing the before and after of funerals. In the very beginning of the unit i remember having a brief talk with my grandpa bout funerals when he was younger. Your video sparked something he said in our conversation about "Criers." (I think thats what they were called) They were hired to attended funerals and cry. It was a way of coping, mourning, and having people express sadness to bring more respect to the dead person. This idea seemed a little bit far fetch to me. I just wondering how that started, how this job evolved and into what? If your parents from their generation had any similar experiences.

great post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Ben:
I really liked that this post provided detailed information on both the ways of caring for the dead that are thought of as most common. Your grandmother's perspective on cremation was particularly interesting to me because I sort of have similar ideas, and I believe that my grandmother felt the same way (she was cremated as well). "I believe our soul/consciousness survives beyond death and does not require a body for any kind of supposed
resurrection." This quote does an excellent job of capturing the basic argument supporting cremation. Finally, I enjoyed the way you provided the historical traditions that were the reason for your other grandmother's decision to have an open casket burial. The argument seems to be for more practicality/freeing the soul from the body vs. preservation of the body & soul together. Nice job!

From Sharif:
Arden, I felt that your project really took a look at the spiritual aspect of caring for the dead. The fact that your grandmother is already planning her death is not something to common but when it happens it is commendable. I feel that it personally takes a lot of courage to be able to accept your mortality and then face it head on. One line specifically stood out to me. "This plan of action has been in place for about 8 years now. This was a decision that was made as a result of her brother’s death. That experience was so emotionally challenging that my grandma did not want anyone in our family going through it when she died. " These lines showed that death does not only bring about negative effects but can also positively affect you. The fact that your grandma's brother’s death affected her in such a way that she was able to go out and change an aspect of her life for the better is really exciting and inspiring.

From Hadley:
Arden,
Hadley here! your piece was so interesting. I like how you started off with a quote and ending with a great question. You made a project that included many different points of view on death without including to much of your own opinion and judgment on it.

In my mind, I want my "care of death" to be most similar to what my mom described. When i die I want those I love to celebrate the good times in my life than mourn over my death. Like my mom I want a cremation and to be scattered in all the places I love. Having the sense of letting go: for my body to be in the earth, and for my family to let go in a more positive "its ok" way.

No comments:

Post a Comment