Sunday, May 8, 2011

Independant Research A

GRAY, HELEN T. . "How different religions bury their dead." Kansas City Star May. 06, 2011: n. pag. Web. 8 May 2011. .

The one commonality between how all religions bury their dead is the respect of the body. Some religions using more natural ways of burials: no embalming, no caskets. While others have no burials, but will have memorials.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chibrknews-ill-lawmakers-consider-softening-cemetery-law-20110423,0,7912761.story?track=rss

There is current debate over the passing legislation revoking key parts of the cemetery in the Illinois Senate. A major concern regarding the in place law is the fact that cemetery managers would be eligible to work without getting a license.

Horton, Allison. "Funeral home sued for bad embalming, too-small grave." Chicago Sun TimesMay 7, 2011, Print.

A funeral home on the Upper East Side of New York is sued for not adequately preparing for a women's funeral. There were problems with properly embalming the women as well as the casket and grave setting.


Although these articles are about different topics, there are striking underlying similarities too. The first article, "How different religions bury their dead." directly relates to some of the situations Tom Jokinen discusses in this book Curtains. A persons religious practices influence the decisions that are made during taking care of the dead. Religious practices differ in most ways. However as written in the first article and in Curtains any and all religious practices respect the dead. This is a common theme and is shown in the other two articles. People seem to get extreme defensive when they feel the dead they are caring for is not being respected. The second article demonstrates a debate about how professional cemetery managers need to be. Within that article there are very few positive opinions, most people are frustrated by the idea that anyone is managing. It is a reoccurring idea, shown again in article three. Why do people become so protective and defensive? Is it an emotion that is coming from selfishness? do they fear for themselves or it is really about the dead?


Death is inevitable. "And that’s perfectly natural." says a studying mortian named Tracy. I chose to discuss this topic with a women who is working as a apprentice in this field of work. After hearing her job title I immediately couldn't help asking why? why do you want to do this? Im curious and out of no disrespect i could think of any reasons myself. She said it was because she liked art and science. I guess putting the two together and one might get something along the lines of caring for the dead? Tracy casually explained to me that her job "its fun." Her job entails discussing options and services to families. In addition to ordering flowers, cars, churches appointments. But her faovorite part is " making them look pretty." She went on to say that death is beauitful,"To me, I fantasize about a funeral more than a wedding for myself. "

I predicted I would feel enlightened, inspired after talking to her. I thought I would feel something so different than what I actually ended up feelings and I couldn't figure it out. Instead of a more enlightened physic I was felt with a someone disturbed and offended one. I felt myself reflecting the people in the articles posted above. I believe I felt this way because of her casualness to the whole topic. It is a fragile topic, and one that needs to be approached and treated with a lot of sensitivity. This is our dominant social practice. People will continue to fear death, to get defensive and offended until traditions are replaced.


No comments:

Post a Comment