Monday, May 16, 2011

Project: The Right way to Death

I.
"I have already prepaid a program with the **Neptune Society to be cremated." My grandma is sure that this is the right method for her. This plan of action has been in place for about 8 years now. This was a decision that was made as a result of her brothers death. That experience was so emotionally challenging that my grandma did not want anyone in our family going through it when she died. Thats where her preplan death package came into place, "They take care of everything , no matter where I am in the US or world when I die. This is easy on my family and does not require funds being taken out of my estate for a burial. "

My grandma's beliefs reflect those of her mentor Sylvia Browne. This american author is a well known women in the subject of spirituality. Her books explore topics of the afterlife and guidance to one souls. These are the ideas that are instilled in my grandma and are the base of her religious practices. Sylvia Browne has played a role in influencing my grandma decision about the process of cremation, "I believe our soul/consciousness survives beyond death and does not require a body for any kind of supposed
resurrection." The other reason supporting the cremation process was because "cremated is more based on practicality."

With the plan of cremation and a spiritual ideology my grandma chose to trust the Neptune Society. Looking through the information provided by Neptune Society my grandmas views are well represented through their mission statement: From growing your retirement nest egg to funding your children's or grandchildren's education, you know from experience that peace of mind often begins with a vision of what you want and the thoughtful planning that makes it reality.

**http://www.neptunesociety.com/cremation-pre-planning?gclid=CPiHxfr47agCFUSo4Aod0xQdDA

II. Now if your like my other grandma than a "full embalming and open caskets burial" is preferred. This ideology comes from a raised and full practicing Catholic. My grandmas beliefs originate from her studies of the bible. Her opinions on death illustrate a more traditional burial type, one that includes a open casket and embalming. This funeral plan was decided by my grandma, her reasoning she said was because "I want my loved ones to remember me in a beautiful and peaceful state."


A very tradition christian burial was one in the consecrated ground. It was only until recently that christians began to cremate their dead. Although a more common process than past years cremation is still forbidden in some areas such as the eastern orthodox churches. On a personal level my grandma would never agree to the cremation process. This might be an outcome of her generation and practices of more traditional
practices.

III.
Considering a person from a younger generation is my mother. She perpectives on the care of death take another extreme form. My mother 's preferred practice is close to the exact opposite of a traditional funeral. She fully supports the cremation of her body, with no memorial, with no ceremony. These beliefs are not ones that are influenced by any religious practices, instead they are ones that are simply results of experience. My mother's ideology took its form throughout each funeral, memorial service she attended. Through these experiences she was able to conclude that "creation is practical." Ideally she wants to be cremated and then spread around in her favorite places. Being scattered around will remind loved ones the memories that were made in those places.

Although these ideologies are three different extreme points of views they have surprising underlying similarities. Firstly, all the interviews spoke very strongly about their beliefs. While discussing with them there was no contradictions, alternatives, unanswered questions they all spoke as thought they were right. Who is say they are not?

Another similarity between all of these practices is how the quality of convince is incorporated into the plan. My grandmas point of views and my mothers are reflect a plan that is beneficial to the loved ones who are left behind. The spiritual grandma attempts to ease her loved ones mourning process by making all her funeral arguments ahead of time. My catholic grandmother choices to be embalmed and have an open caskets so she can be viewed and remembered in a beautiful way. Lastly, my mother, who requested a simply cremation along with the positive remembrance of memories without a any type of cremation. IS the care of death about the dead or about the living?

2 comments:

  1. I really liked that this post provided detailed information on both the ways of caring for the dead that are thought of as most common. Your grandmother's perspective on cremation was particularly interesting to me because I sort of have similar ideas, and I believe that my grandmother felt the same way (she was cremated as well). "I believe our soul/consciousness survives beyond death and does not require a body for any kind of supposed
    resurrection." This quote does an excellent job of capturing the basic argument supporting cremation. Finally, I enjoyed the way you provided the historical traditions that were the reason for your other grandmother's decision to have an open casket burial. The argument seems to be for more practicality/freeing the soul from the body vs. preservation of the body & soul together. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arden,
    Hadley here! your piece was so interesting. I like how you started off with a quote and ending with a great question. You made a project that included many different points of view on death without including to much of your own opinion and judgment on it.

    In my mind, I want my "care of death" to be most similar to what my mom described. When i die I want those I love to celebrate the good times in my life than mourn over my death. Like my mom I want a cremation and to be scattered in all the places I love. Having the sense of letting go: for my body to be in the earth, and for my family to let go in a more positive "its ok" way.

    ReplyDelete