Monday, May 16, 2011

COTD#1

I have only been to a couple of cemeteries in my lifetime. This first picture of me when I went to visit St Paul’s cemetery in lower Manhattan. There were a surprising number of people there. Not only because they were doing this project but plenty of tourists, a bunch of people walking around, taking pictures. Looking at the cemetery from afar it seemed less than well maintained. My initials inferences were the water pipes weaving between tombs stones, broken and fallen stones, and the patches of grass that covered the area randomly. Then attempted to read the stones, but I found that most of them were so faded that it was unrecognizable. I discovered a grave that was to a man who man George Washington’s battle sword. I reconsidered my thoughts about the cemetery. As I walked through it the more beautiful it got. It was a peaceful place in the middle of a chaotic and busy area. It is amazing that the cemetery has survived since 1766 and through the 9/11 attacks. Then I thought again about all its imperfections, which then I realize just symbolizes its age. All the cracks, the worn signs, give the cemetery its unique character. The same way a person experiences aging was what I saw in the cemetery. Are cemeteries more about the dead or the living?

The Second cemetery I went to visit was in Rutland Vermont. Stones went on in every direction in no particular pattern. The graves began to disappear the further you got into the forest surrounding it. The weather consisted of only rain. I showed up at the cemetery and thought I was the only one there. Honestly I was a little scared, I’ m not sure hwy exactly. It might have something to do with the way cemeteries are portrayed in all the scary movies I have seen. Yeah ok zombie aren’t real I get it. I don’t know what I was afraid of. While I walked around I noticed I was alone (no not a zombie) there was a man digging a grave. I was relived to see someone else there and so I wasn’t afraid to approach him. I went over and said hello to him. He was a little who had been digging graves for about 15 years, on top of working other jobs. He has buried to many people to count and most of whom he has known. The man was right when he said that cemeteries are scary because “Your voice is the only one you can hear”

No comments:

Post a Comment